Thursday, February 10, 2011

I really hate having to pee in the middle of the night...

I really hate having to pee in the middle of the night. Really, what I dislike is having to venture out of out mosquito net cocoon when it's dark outside. We have little - and big- things that go bump in the night, like rats, mice, snakes, spiders, etc. We also have things that chase each other in our grass roof (and their pursuits can make such a ruckus in the black plastic that covers the inside of our roof), which I don't want to get in the middle of, especially in a groggy, befuddled state.

A friend of mine back in the U.S. asked if I wake Shaun up to go with me. I told her I just don't have the heart to wake him- it's such an ordeal. Gotta get a headlamp, untuck the mosquito net, put on something decent (in case neighbors are around) and shoes, unlock the door and make sure cat doesn't escape- and I'm not even to the "icimbusu" (pit latrine) yet, which is 25 feet- in the pitch dark- away from the house!

Another friend back in the U.S, upon reading this, was incredulous that we have a cat but no running water It's true- no running water and no electricity, a mud-brick house and a thatch roof. But we DO have a cat! We literally have her to catch and keep away mice/rats, which attract snakes (quite a concern in these parts). She's our snake protection :-)

Oh, and I keep looking for something to serve as a chamber pot, but I'm having a surprisingly difficult time finding an appropriately sized and shaped container. Oh well, I supposed I'm not really keen on sleeping next to a bucket of pee anyway (although it IS more practical).

No comments:

Post a Comment