Tonight's brazier-side chat topic: what it's like flying in airplanes. Our neighbors came over for our nightly dinner visit. These visits always lead to fun discussions and culture exchanges. Tonight we got to talking about how we traveled to Zambia and seeing a large plane fly overhead earlier in the day. Then, it became apparent that while this is something Shaun and I and everyone we know in the U.S. take for granted, our neighbors had never experienced traveling by plane - nor do they know many folks who had. We explained what it's like to be inside a plane, to see the country from the air, and I even got to explain popping your ears.
Last night, we spent the evening on our porch watching satellites float through the Milky Way, which is crisply visible from the vantage point of our front patio. Shaun and I explained to our neighbors; children about the stars, the sun, the moon and speed of light. We also introduced them to horseradish sauce, which they didn't care for- haha!
That night, we were having chicken-flavored, breaded soya nuggets with BBQ sauce. I added to my plate a packet of Arby's Horsey (horseradish) sauce my parents mailed to us. Our visitors asked what it was, so we let them try it. We always have visitors in the evenings with whom to share our meals and this Horsey Sauce was the first things we've shared that our Zambian neighbors have refused seconds. That sure gave Shaun and I - and our visitors - a good laugh. That's one more thing we truly enjoy about Zambians- they have a wonderful sense of humor and love to laugh.
No comments:
Post a Comment