Today was the last day of the 4-day ESL Workshop I've been facilitating for our district's Women's Development Association. It's been going great and I've been inspired by these women's enthusiasm and tenacity for learning. Some cycle 40km one way and are entirely engaged each day of intense language acquisition. My hat's off to them!
Picture Above: We are in the Women's Development Association office in the Mwense boma. We held our classes here and it was a great venue for them. We have a table and chairs for the women to study and learn at, and we had plenty of wall space to tack up flipchart paper to explain the lessons (in lieu of a chalkboard). Also, the office in the Mwense boma is centrally located, as these women come from all over Mwense District.
In this picture, the sun is shining in the windows of the office and the women are gathered around a flipchart I put up on the wall, so they can copy down the exercise on it (unfortunately I wrote too small on that one when I was preparing it the night before).
Picture Above: Here are the ladies for a group snap under a tree outside the front of their office in Mwense boma. They are all dressed in lovely dresses made from chitenge material. The wood-plank structure behind them is a small tuck-shop Shaun and I frequent to buy our bread (it's independent of the Women's Development Association).
Picture Above: The women are working on a verb tense exercise during our workshop.
Picture Above: Here we are breaking for lunch. At the lunch break, we put all our papers and learning materials to the side of the table and converted it into our lunch table. The ladies prepared "ubwali wa mataba" (maize-meal nshima) - the white food in the furthest large white bowl - and a vegetable and a "kapenta" (tiny fish) "umunani" (relish, or side dish). It was delicious and very nice of them to provide it for us all.
No comments:
Post a Comment