Warning: you might find this post yucky.
You know it's rainy season in Zambia when your bedding is moist from the humidity.
We came home today after being in Mansa for the Thanksgiving holiday and our Peace Corps Provincial meetings. When we got home and uncovered our bed (when we leave we cover it with a second mosquito net to keep dust and mice out), we found that our comforter, sheets, even the bottom blanket I put between the bottom sheet and the mattress, were damp from the humidity of rainy season. Being from dry southern California, this is quite new to me. We just don't have this predicament there.
Luckily, I'd washed linens before we left last time and I was able to put fresh, dry sheets on the bed. Since the afternoon was still hot, I hung our blanket out to dry on the line. Unfortunately, this just made it damper due to the moisture still in the air. Oops! Fortunately, the night was mild (not cold) so we got away with sleeping under just a sheet and let the comforter dry again overnight.
As one of my fellow PCVs in Northwestern Province told me, we are better off than a third PCV, also in Northwestern Province, who has worms growing on his bed because of the rains. He added, “That is a dark place in life...” and I couldn't agree more.
No comments:
Post a Comment